Wait a minute. Isn’t January the traditional time for a detox?
Not if you’re smart.
We’re heading into the festive season – generally acknowledged as the most indulgent time of the year. You’re going to be eating and drinking more than normal. A pre-emptive “cleanse” can help you prepare to sparkle, get your complexion glowing and boost your energy levels so you look and feel fabulous in that little black dress.
Don’t be put off by the word detox.
It’s not just marketing hype or something celebrities do when coming off a binge. Done properly, a detox is like having a good “clean out”. It involves eating whole foods that are packed with nutrients and devoid of chemical substances. It’s a way of priming your body to live a healthier and more natural lifestyle.
Detoxification is a normal, everyday function. Our body breaks down and eliminates anything that doesn’t belong. The problem is that these days, our body is overloaded with things that don’t belong; heavy metals from pollution, pesticides, hormones, antibiotics, artificial colours and flavourings, not to mention additional substances such as caffeine, tobacco, alcohol, medications, and recreational drugs. We live in an environment steeped in harmful substances that our bodies were not designed to process.
If your body’s capacity to process waste is impaired, toxins accumulate in fat tissue and some can be released into your bloodstream, leading to symptoms such as headaches, irritability, lowered immunity, poor skin, anxiety, food cravings and more.
Fortunately, there are plenty of effective ways to enhance your body’s natural ability to rid itself of toxins.
Don’t forget that when it comes to cleansing your body of harmful toxins, food really is the best medicine. Here are my top six picks for naturally lowering your toxic load:
• Citrus fruit like oranges, lemons and limes help your body flush out toxins by stimulating digestive enzymes. Starting each day with a glass of warm water and lemon alkalizes your system and facilitates liver cleansing. Makes it easier to limit caffeine too.!
• Drinking lots of water is a no-brainer, but worth repeating since your body needs lots to flush out toxins. Drink a glass before meals as it’s easy to mistake thirst for hunger. Aim for 2 litres of filtered water daily.
• A green smoothie for breakfast provides a rich source of chlorophyll to help rid the body of impurities. It’s an easy way to top up on essential nutrients while adding superfoods like chlorella and milk thistle for extra detox power.
• Garlic, onions, chives and leeks are packed with powerful antioxidants that stimulate your liver’s production of detoxifying enzymes. Raw or cooked, put them in everything!
• Eating (organic) produce like parsley, coriander, artichokes, apples, beets and broccoli help bind and eliminate heavy metals. Cabbage, kale, Brussels sprouts and cauliflower are high in sulphur and glutathione, which help the liver detoxify harmful chemicals. Adding raw veggies to your diet help boost digestive enzymes that facilitate natural detox.
• Cutting out alcohol is another obvious one that bears repeating. It dehydrates the body and burdens the liver. Going without helps shed a few pounds and instantly improves skin.
Even people with a relatively clean diet and lifestyle benefit greatly from the occasional detox because of modern day stressors and toxins we cannot always control. I recommend doing a detox at least three times a year, or whenever you feel bloated or sluggish.
It’s a great way to reboot from the inside out. And the effects aren’t just physical. Afterwards you might just notice a sense of clarity and peace you didn’t have before.
• 7-day Detox: The Clever Kitchen’s 7-day detox diet is based on a special vegetable soup, fruit and more vegetables! By boosting your liver function and supporting your digestive system it can quickly transform your complexion, make aches and pains disappear, improve sleep and restore your energy and vitality. ( Please see below the program of 7-day detox)
Juice fasts and vegetable broth too extreme? Make a long-term commitment to your health that not only purges your cells of potentially harmful toxins, but also helps strengthen your body’s natural detoxification capacities all year long:
• Foodwise Detox Plan: An online program specially designed to allow your major organs of elimination (liver, colon, kidneys and skin), to remove any toxins and waste matter that have accumulated in your fat tissue. The goal is to help your body deal more effectively with daily exposure to toxins and strengthen your natural detoxification processes long term https://www.foodwise.life/program/detox
Would you prefer to wait until after the holidays? The Clever Kitchen will be offering our usual 3-WEEK DETOX beginning mid January for people who want to quickly cleanse, lose weight and supercharge the way they look and feel.
7-DAY DETOX FAST
BREAKFAST FOR EACH OF THE 7 DAYS:
• 15 minutes before you are ready to eat, squeeze the juice of one lemon into a glass of warm water and drink it.
• One 8-ounce glass of red grape juice (unsweetened). You may have more if you like.
• Plain soy yogurt (organic) or low fat goat’s yogurt. 8 tablespoons only.
• Fresh fruit salad. At least 300g. You may have more, but have at least this amount. You can have one kind of fruit or you may mix. No bananas or avocado!
• Herbal tea. You may sweeten with a little honey or 100% maple syrup
Between breakfast and lunch you should drink all the fruit and vegetables juice you can manage. Also eat fresh, raw vegetables and fruit. The more fresh fruit and vegetables you eat, the greater will be the cleansing. Make up plenty of vegetable broth (see recipe) and drink lots of it. It is full of minerals.
LUNCH FOR EACH OF THE 7 DAYS
• Drink 2 cups of vegetable broth.
• Salad: Make a chopped salad of fresh, raw vegetables. Use a dressing of virgin olive oil, lemon juice and amino acids. You may add crushed fresh garlic or apple cider vinegar if you like. Choose from four of the vegetables listed below and eat as much as you like.
• Artichokes, asparagus, beans, beets, Brussels sprouts, broccoli, cabbage, cauliflower, cucumbers, celery, dandelions, dark green lettuce, eggplant, endive, fresh sweet corn, fresh green beans, green peppers, kale, kohlrabi, lettuce, okra, onions, parsley, parsnips, pumpkin, radishes, spinach, sprouts, tomatoes, turnips (tops too).
MID AFTERNOON SNACK
• Fresh fruit salad with fresh dates if desired
• Herbal tea and water
• Between lunch and dinner drink as much fruit juice and vegetable juice as you like. Eat all the fresh fruit and vegetables that you want. Fill up. It’s medicine for you. Remember, the purge comes from the vitamins and the minerals in the foods, so be sure to eat plenty.
DINNER FOR EACH OF THE 7 DAYS
• Drink 2 cups of vegetable broth.
• Cooked vegetables. Choose three or more from the list above.
• Eat a generous helping of each. You may add garlic, lemon juice and amino acids if you wish. No potatoes!
• Dessert: Baked apple topped with maple syrup and cinnamon. Or a fruit salad. Water and herbal tea.
• If you are hungry after dinner eat fresh fruit and drink fruit or vegetable juice. ALL YOU WANT.
RECIPE FOR VEGETABLE BROTH
Take 7 carrots and one bunch of celery and chop finely. Place in 2 litres of boiling water and simmer for 15 minutes. Add a small bunch of parsley and a large handful of fresh spinach, chopped finely. Simmer 10 more minutes, then drain the broth. Flavour with onion, green peppers or garlic, lemon juice, amino acids or cayenne. Store in the fridge. You may add tomato juice to improve flavour and texture if you like.
You can drink it hot or cold. The purpose of the broth is to FLUSH. Drink lots of it during the 7 days.
WHAT TO EXPECT
• The first day you may feel slight discomfort from having changed your regular morning eating, but do not allow this to disturb you for it is natural.
• About the third of fourth day your bowels and kidneys will begin to move freely. Much toxic material will be passed. You may experience headaches, perhaps nausea, gas, a few aches and pains, but do not become alarmed. Nature is merely cleaning you out. These symptoms are quite natural and are to be expected.
• About the fifth day you will feel a surge of energy. You will be surprised at yourself. Your complexion will cleared up, your eyes will begin to brighten and you will feel wonderfully clean inside. The little cells that were full of toxins are now clean and start crying out for other food.
• Continue until the end of the seventh day. Then start to introduce protein; fish, chicken, eggs, nuts. seeds, legumes and organic soy products, as well as a small amount of whole grains. Avoid potatoes, break and pasta for another week.
SPROUTS AND VEGGIES WITH TAHINI DRESSING
For the Salad:
1 cup quinoa
1 ½ cup water (add organic vegetable stock cube to make broth)
1 ½ cup red cabbage (finely grated)
2 cups alfalfa or mung bean sprouts
1cup baby spinach
2 carrots, shredded
1⁄4 cup pumpkin seeds
For the Dressing:
¼ cup tahini (sesame paste from the Bio Store)
2 tablespoons olive oil
2 tablespoons freshly squeezed lemon juice
Half a cup coriander (chopped and loosely packed)
½ teaspoon Himalayan salt
½ cup water
In a pot, combine quinoa and vegetable broth. Bring to a boil and then set to simmer. Cover and simmer for 15 – 20 minutes, or until liquid is absorbed. In a small bowl, whisk together the tahini, lemon, oil water and salt. In a large serving bowl, combine the cooled quinoa, sprouts and other salad ingredients. Toss the dressing with the salad vegetables.