This week in Monaco was as always filled with interesting news and events, and here we selected for you 10 most interesting pieces to keep you updated.
Last year, 13,297 runners and walkers surpassed the distance between the Earth and the Moon, traveling 392,516 km.This year’s new challenge will be to head towards the stars! The 2017 Mission: travel 400,000 kms in 8 days! Number of passengers expected: 14,000!
Monegasque player Radamel Falcao, C1 semi-finalist and French champion, is one of 30 people recently nominated for the Ballon d’Or 2017. The esteemed prize honours the best players of the year, based on votes from football journalists. Originally, only European players were in contention for the Ballon d’Or, but in 1995 the award was expanded to include all players in European clubs and in 2007, all players from around the world.
This is the fifth year that Monaco has been hosting a fleet of international teams who set up their winter training quarters in the Principality for a series of regattas between October and March.
EasyJet is backing plans to develop commercial passenger aircraft powered by electric batteries instead of conventional aero engines.
The airline wants the proposed planes to fly passengers on its short-haul routes, possibly within 10-20 years.
On Tuesday, in the presence of the authorities, the Minister of State, Serge Telle, received employees who had been awarded the Monegasque Professional Certification. This certification was instigated by the Prince’s Government on the initiative of the Monegasque Association for Financial Activities (AMAF).
Ferrari Formula 1 junior driver Charles Leclerc runs away with the 2017 Formula 2 title with victory over Oliver Rowland in Jerez.
Charles Leclerc had a great season overall. On the race execution side he has always been very, very quick and the only low was the qualifying in Monza. There have been some personal lows for Leclerc in 2017, after losing his dad. So it must have been particularly special to win in Jerez and take the championship as a way of honouring his father to whom, it is reported that, he will dedicate the title.
Gil Byeong-Min wins the Monte Carlo Voice Masters Competition
After dazzling an audience and jury with his powerful voice, Gil E Byeong-Min won the Prince Rainier III Award, along with 30,000 euros, on Saturday night at the Rainier III Auditorium. The 23-year-old Korean shone with his rendition of Air de la Calomnie from the Barbier de Séville and La Giconda by Ponchielli. The prize was presented to him by Secretary of State, Jacques Boisson.
The Voice Masters competitors were beautifully accompanied by the Monte Carlo Philharmonic Orchestra, conducted by Samuel Jean and the event was masterfully presented by television’s Alain Duault.
Novak Djokovic opens a Free Restaurant for the Homeless
Champion tennis player Novak Djokovic, resident of Monaco, is opening a free restaurant in Belgrade for the homeless and those in need. He said that he has earned enough money to feed all of Serbia, and they deserve it after all the support they have given him. The 12-time Grand Slam champion has a very special relationship with food, adhering to a vegan and gluten-free diet, which he claims has changed his life for the better. In 2016, the Serbian and his wife Jelena Djokovic opened Eqvita, a vegan restaurant in Monaco’s Portier district.
Monaco hosts the European Athletes Forum
The Monegasque Olympic Committee had the honour of organizing the 2017 European Athletes Forum. A hundred athletes participated in the 3-day event which was opened by Tony Estanguet, leader of Paris 2024. Some of the issues presented and discussed before a hundred delegates included an outlook for the 2020 Olympic Agenda and keeping the sports world clean of doping and illegal betting. Yvette Lambin-Berti, General Secretary of the Monegasque Olympic Committee said she was delighted to welcome the European Athletes’ Commission to the Principality.
Virtual Diving in the Principality
The Oceanographic Museum organized an unprecedented operation that allowed internet users to communicate with divers while they were 30 metres below sea level. It was almost a world first: last June, a similar operation was carried out in Marseille for the first time ever. When Olivier Brunel, head of the aquarium at the Oceanographic Museum, learned about the event in Marseille, he had to do it in Monaco.
Those who had ever dreamed of diving in Monaco were able to plunge to the depths of its beautiful oceans without getting wet. The divers along with their internet audience, watching through Facebook live, explored the Toulonnais shipwreck, a 27-metre long vessel which had been lying outside the port of Monaco since 1991 and which was moved to the foot of the Oceanographic Museum in April 2014.
Thanks to new technology and a team of fifteen people, the Principality’s underwater world was just a click away.