An information meeting for parents of students from the Ecole de La Condamine, which will return to the CP class, CE1 and CE2 classes in September, has been held recently to discuss the use of school uniforms.
The purpose of the meeting was to inform parents of the implementation of a dress code test, in order to emphasize the feeling of belonging to a group and a school in Monaco.
Following a call for tender launched by the Prince’s Government with 12 companies based in the Principality, three responded to provide white short-sleeved and long sleeved polo shirts as well as a hooded navy blue top. Among the conditions proposed for the uniform manufacturer is the need for the selected company to have a point of sale in Monaco, in order to accommodate customers.
The pros and cons of school uniforms…
According to supporters, school uniforms:
- Encourage discipline
- Help students resist peer pressure to buy trendy clothes
- Help identify intruders in the school
- Diminish economic and social barriers between students
- Increase a sense of belonging and school pride
- Improve attendance
- Help prevent gangs from forming on campus
Opponents contend that school uniforms:
- Violate students’ right to freedom of expression
- Make students a target for bullies from other schools
- Are a financial burden for poorer families
- Are an unfair additional expense for parents who pay taxes for a free public education
- Are difficult to enforce in public schools
We want to hear from you! What are your thoughts on the implementation of school uniforms in Monaco? Did you have to wear one when you were at school? Are you for or against dress codes and uniforms?