- This event has passed.
42nd International Circus Festival
18 January 2018 - 28 January 2018| €30 - €90
The 42nd International Circus Festival will take place from 18 to 28 January 2018.
The greatest circus festival in the world. Created by HSH Prince Rainier III, this festival brings together the most prestigious acts from the world’s great circuses where the highlight is the awarding of the “Clown d’Or”, considered as the supreme honour for artists in this discipline.
The competition will be back for the 42nd Circus Festival of Monte-Carlo, the Organising Committee, which had invited the award-winning artists from the previous festivals, even came up with some new combined acts, some of which have made circus history! Having won individual awards and in partnership with others, they remain extraordinary and never to be repeated.
As the competition returns for this 42nd edition, there is an international jury, under the presidency of H.S.H. Princess Stéphanie: their mission is to award the famous Gold, Silver and Bronze Clowns, often compared to the Oscars of the film world. The Gold Clown is the festival’s trademark, conceived when the festival was created by its founder Prince Rainier III of Monaco. From the 19th January, over 100 artists from 16 countries will perform in the famous Fontvieille ring.
On the programme:
– two exhibitions:
* At the Marriott Riviera Hotel, “Croqu’en cirque”, organised by the Monegasque
Association for the Friends of Circus and showcasing works by Michel Costiou (18th
January – 4th February);
* In the Fontvieille shopping centre and Carrefour, photographs by Alain Hanel (8th
January – 4th February);
– a stamp created by the Office des Timbres Poste de Monaco featuring the 42nd Festival’s poster and with a face value of one euro and twenty cents, which has been on sale since the 3rd January;
– the traditional shop window competition, with this year’s theme being “circus animals” and “the 250th anniversary of modern circus”;
– the European Circus Association and the World Circus Federation meeting on the 18th and 19th January at the Marriott Riviera hotel;
– the Open Door “Circus Animals” show, rehearsals with commentary, on Saturday 20th January from 3pm to 4pm at the Fontvieille big top – free entry
– the ecumenical service under the big top on Monday 22nd January at 7 pm;
– the friendly football match between H.S.H. Prince Albert II of Monaco’s Barbagiuans and the circus artistes’ team, at the Cap d’Ail stadium on Monday 22nd January at 8.30 pm.
The roundabout between the avenue des Ligures and the avenue des Guelfes will be specially decorated by the Gardening branch of the Direction de l’Aménagement Urbain (Town Planning Department), to celebrate the 250th anniversary of modern circus.
Finally, 33 of the Principality’s classes, that’s 800 pupils, will be lucky enough to attend an educational rehearsal on Thursday 25th January in the big top.
Book your tickets online, by phone or at our box office.