Thermes Marins Monte-Carlo through the ages
In the middle of the nineteenth century, the Principality of Monaco underwent a considerable transformation. From the agricultural Principality it once was, with its olive and citrus groves that stretched as far as Menton, it became a land of casinos and aristocratic tourism, when it lost the cities of Menton and Roquebrune in 1848. Prince Charles III created Monte-Carlo (“Mount Charles”) and created his Casino and his Hotel de Paris.
Today, it is difficult to imagine such a luxurious environment on a port where constructions have not ceased to multiply since the XIXth century.The Etablissement des Bains opened for business by the port of Monaco. The first baths were built in the area known as La Condamine. The facility was built on the sand at the water’s edge and remained open all year round, with winter as its peak season.
The Casino and the Hotel de Paris were built in Monte-Carlo and took over the natural spaces that were there before.
1895 year marked the beginning of Thermes Valentia, with new buildings, new facilities and a new name for the Etablissement des Bains in La Condamine. Inauguration of Thermes Valentia. Holidaymakers gradually stopped coming and turned to other beach recreation activities. ConsequentlyThermes became specialised in using hydrology, hydrotherapy and electrotherapy to treat diseases. The establishment was completely redesigned and reorganized as a treatment center. Thermes Valentia had the most complete and modern equipment at its disposal of its time. Thermes Valentia closed in 1904 to make room for construction around the port.
On the 3 March 1908 the new spa was inaugurated on the Casino Terraces, where it is still located today (Architect: Mr. Alex Tessier). Prince Albert I inaugurated the new Thermes de Monte-Carlo a few meters from the Hôtel de Paris. Twenty years later, wide-scale renovations were carried out, transforming the center into a sophisticated technology hub offering the most innovative treatments and therapies.
Extensively renovated in 1928, the Monte-Carlo thermal center was highly appreciated throughout Europe until it was bombed and destroyed during the Second World War.
And only 90 years later, on April 1995 the new spa, Thermes Marins Monte-Carlo, was established. The renovations lasted 2 years. Over 40 years after being destroyed, Thermes Marins Monte-Carlo was open for business once again, consisting of a vast space measuring 6,600 m² spread out over 4 floors and dedicated to a place of harmony, enjoyment, health and wellness.
A true pioneer in the world of luxury tourism with a mission to renew and rebuild, Monte-Carlo Société des Bains de Mer initiated a phase of large-scale projects, starting with Thermes Marins Monte-Carlo in 2014.The new Thermes Marins Monte-Carlo, renovated to offer its clientele more space, modernity, technology and tranquility, will be inaugurated. Floors -2 and -3 will be entirely redesigned (new reception, new changing rooms, new SPA treatment rooms).
Sources: www.montecarlolegend.com & www.montecarlosbm.com