The Literature Council of the Prince Pierre of Monaco Foundation, chaired by H.R.H. the Princess of Hanover, met at the Ritz Hotel in Paris on Wednesday 10 May to draw up the list of authors in contention for the Literary Prize and Discovery Grant. Following her appointment by Sovereign Decision of H.S.H. the Sovereign Prince, renowned Canadian writer Dominique Fortier took part in her first Literature Council meeting as a representative of Canadian literature in the French language, alongside members of the Académie Française, the Académie Goncourt and representatives from other French-language literary communities. After lengthy deliberations, the Jury agreed the following shortlists:
- LITERARY PRIZE:
- Established in 1951, the Literary Prize honours a well-known writer in the French language for their entire body of work. It offers a prize of €25,000. The shortlist of authors selected for the Prince Pierre Foundation’s Literary Prize 2023 is as follows:
– Michel Bernard
– Sylvie Germain
– Marie-Hélène Lafon
– Jean-Noël Pancrazi
– Serge Rezvani
Established in 2001 to mark the fiftieth anniversary of the Literary Prize, the Discovery Grant is awarded to an author in the French language whose first work of fiction has just been published. The grant of €12,000 is endowed by the Princess Grace Foundation. The authors shortlisted for the Discovery Grant 2023 are as follows:
– Feurat Alani, Je me souviens de Falloujah [I Remember Fallujah], JC Lattès
– Claire Baglin, En salle [Indoors], Les Éditions de Minuit
– Erwan Barillot, Moi Omega [I, Omega], Bouquins
– Dominique Celis, Ainsi pleurent nos hommes [This Is How Our Men Cry], Philippe Rey
– Eric Chacour, Ce que je sais de toi [What I Know About You], Alto
– Catherine Logean, Confessions à un ficus [Confessions to a Ficus], L’Arbre vengeur
– Jeanne Pham Tran, De rage et de lumière [Of Rage and Light], Mercure de France
– Perrine Tripier, Les guerres précieuses [Valuable Wars], Gallimard
These first novels will be presented to the public at Monaco Multimedia Library on 29 June, and there will be an opportunity to meet the authors on 9 October.
The winners of the Literary Prize and the Discovery Grant will be formally announced during the Foundation awards ceremony at the Monaco Opera Garnier on 10 October 2023.
The role of the Prince Pierre of Monaco Foundation is to promote contemporary creativity in the fields of literature, music and art.