Prince Albert II recently arrived in Egypt for the United Nations Climate Change Conference, where he made several high-profile appearances. On Thursday 10 November, the Prince Albert II of Monaco Foundation co-organized an event titled “Swimming the talk: Scaling-up action to tackle climate change in the Mediterranean region – Monaco’s engagement” at the Mediterranean Pavilion. In his opening address, HSH Prince Albert II of Monaco expressed his wish for the Mediterranean of tomorrow to be “the symbol of new solutions”.
The event continued with a first panel dedicated to dealing with climate change. The second panel addressed conservation and reducing the impacts of climate change through collective action. The last panel highlighted multiple solutions involving land-sea interactions and the need to implement integrated approaches to adapt to the effects of climate change. HE Nasser Kamel, Secretary General of the Secretariat of the Union for the Mediterranean, gave the closing speech.
During the COP27, Prince Albert II met with the prime minister of Egypt, Mostafa Madbouly, as well as the minister of Foreign Affairs and president of the COP27, Sameh Shoukry, during a reception following the Ocean Innovators Platform, also organized by the Prince Albert II Foundation.
Prince Albert II and Princess Caroline received Contemporary Artist Christine Sun Kim
Prince Albert II and Princess Caroline of Monaco met with artist Christine Sun Kim, winner of the Prince Pierre International Prize for Contemporary Art. Christine Sun Kim is an American artist based in Berlin. Working predominantly in drawing, performance, and video, her work considers how sound operates in society. Christine Sun Kim was born deaf and interpreted the American national anthem in American Sign Language at the Super Bowl for the deaf community. Her work, “The Star-Spangled Banner (2020)” won the Prince Pierre International Contemporary Art Prize, which is awarded every three years. The prize includes a sum of €75,000 for the funding of new work.
Prince Albert II continues Historic visits to Southern Italy in Molochio
On Wednesday 9 November, Prince Albert II traveled to the village of Molochio, Southern Italy, to unveil “Grimaldi Historic Sites of Monaco” sign. The Sovereign and his delegation were then taken to the Belvedere Catorella, offering a magnificent panorama of the Aspromonte National Park (a Unesco Geopark). The viewpoint allowed the Sovereign to contemplate the former territory of the Grimaldi of Gerace and the towns of Molochio, Terranova and Cittanova.
The Prince then participated in a presentation by HE Anne Eastwood, Ambassador of Monaco in Italy, of a defibrillator donated to the National Park by Barclays Bank Monaco and presented to the mayor, Marco Caruso, and the President of the Aspromonte National Park, Leo Autelitano. On the occasion of the Prince’s visit, a tree was planted in the park.
On the way back to Molochio, the Prince and His delegation stopped to admire the magnificent Mundu e Galasia waterfalls. Back in Molochio, the Prince met the town’s elected officials at the Town Hall, where he unveiled a plaque commemorating his visit. A ceremony in the village square then took place, during which the mayor made the Prince an honorary citizen. The townspeople came out in large numbers to greet the Prince.
The Sovereign then visited the Sanctuary Maria Santissima Immacolata di Lourdes, the first Italian sanctuary dedicated to the Virgin Our Lady of Lourdes. Built from 1890 by Father Francesco Zagari de Scilla and blessed in 1901, the sanctuary is next to a convent of Capuchin friars and placed under their responsibility. Two of the friars gave a tour of the sanctuary to the Prince. The princely visit to Calabria ended with a lunch cocktail of regional specialities offered by the municipality to the Prince and his delegation.
Prince Albert II makes Historic visit to Calabria, Italy
Prince Albert II continued his historic visit by travelling to Calabria, a medieval village located in the Aspromonte park, on Tuesday 8 November. Welcomed by Rudi Lizzi, First Deputy Mayor, he unveiled “Grimaldi Historic Sites of Monaco” sign at the entrance to the town. He then went to the Town Hall to meet the village’s elected officials and unveil a plaque commemorating His visit. The Sovereign Prince continued his visit on foot, to the Greco-Byzantine crypt of Gerace Cathedral and the diocesan museum. At the Chiesa di San Francisco in Assisi, HSH the Prince received an honorary citizenship.
In Canolo Nuova, a small town of 700 inhabitants, the Prince, surrounded by his delegation and Mayor Francesco Larosa and President of the Aspromonte National Park, Leo Autelitano, enjoyed a country lunch prepared by the shepherds of the park. Welcomed to the sound of the zampogna (antique bagpipes, with four pipes, still widely used in Italy) the guests tasted regional specialities.
The afternoon was spent visiting Cittanova, a town in the province of Reggio Calabria. Upon his arrival, the Sovereign, welcomed Mayor Francesco Cosentino, unveiled a “Grimaldi Historic Sites of Monaco” sign at the entrance to the village. Later, at City Hall, he witnessed the unveiling of a plaque commemorating visit. The princely procession then walked through the streets and alleys to meet the local people before visiting the Chiesa Madre di Cittanova, built from 1785 by the will of Maria Antonia Grimaldi Serra, daughter of the Princess of Gerace Maria Teresa Grimaldi, who died in the earthquake of 1783.
After paying his respects at the tomb of Princess Maria Teresa Grimaldi, the Prince continued his journey on foot to the former Grimaldi Palace. He then visited the Villa Comunale Carlo Ruggiero park before visiting the Teatro Rocco Gentile, where he received honorary citizenship from the municipality.
The day ended with a dinner offered by the Prince to the mayors of Gerace, Cittanova and Molochio as well as to the regional and local authorities, in order to thank them for their hospitality.
The municipalities of Gerace, Cittanova and Molochio were part of the ancient principality of Gerace, which belonged, between the 16th and 18th centuries, to Grimaldis of Genoa from a collateral branch of the Monegasque branch.
Prince’s Carabinieri switch into Winter Uniforms
On 7 November, during the Changing of the Guard, which takes place every day at 11:55 am sharp, the Prince’s Carabinieri switched uniforms, from white, lightweight summer uniforms to winter wear. The change of outfits according to the season was established during the creation of the “Compagnie des Gardes” (1870 – 1904). The Compagnie des Carabiniers du Prince, which succeeded the “Papalins” resumed this tradition in 1904.
Since their creation on 8 December 1817, the Prince’s Carabinieri have had the task of guarding the Palace, ensuring the safety of the Sovereign Prince and the Princely Family, ensuring the integrity of his properties, residences and immediate surroundings, to provide him with services of honour, to see to the execution of the laws and to participate in the maintenance of public order. La Relève is a solemn, military ritual, where coordination is essential. The motto of the Carabinieri Corps is “Honour, Loyalty, Dedication”. Currently its workforce is 124 soldiers.